CRTs and CRT Glass were once easily recycled into new CRTs; however, the demand for new CRTs has collapsed in favor of new flat panel technologies.
Because of rising costs, negative economic incentives, and shifts in CRT glass markets, some CRT processors and recyclers are choosing to store the glass indefinitely, rather than send it for recycling (or disposal), which increases the risk of mismanagement and/or abandonment of the CRTs.
– US EPA, September 2014
Kuusakoski’s Solution to this problem is a 4 Step Process:
- Collection: We work with numerous State Agencies and Municipalities, to collect these materials directly from the generators, with over 2,000 collection points across the United States.
- Recycling: We manually disassemble CRTs and recycle 50% of the materials, which include Copper, Plastic, and Steel bearing items. These items are ultimately refined into their raw material form, and used in the manufacturing of new Copper, Plastic, and Steel items…in essence creating a closed loop in the recycling chain.
- Environmental: The glass tubes, which contain lead, are shredded and chemically treated to encapsulate the lead, and mitigate the environmental impact.
- Containment: Treated glass is stored in an EPA certified and monitored “mineable cell” for storage, until economically viable and scalable processes for separating lead from glass become available.
- EPA Approved Process
- eStewards Certified
- Currently Operational
- Our method has considerable capacity, in light of several other homes curtailing shipments and closing completely.
- Unanimous Support of Illinois Legislature
- Illinois Manufacturers Association backing
- Sierra Club endorsement
- Governing bodies (R2 and eStewards) cannot restrict their members from using Kuusakoski’s Glass Solution in the State of Illinois.
- Kuusakoski is working with several State, Local and Private Agencies to handle the cleanup of numerous abandoned CRT Recycling sites, and are quickly developing a National Reputation for Environmentally Sound and Scientifically Engineered Recycling Solutions.
- Surrounding States have toured our facilities and are working on similar legislation as Illinois in a effort to create more cost effective and proven recycling methods.
….Is your downstream vendor processing ALL materials, or simply a portion and warehousing the remainder…or worse yet, shipping materials abroad and “hoping” the environmental risk is properly mitigated?
Kuusakoski offers a proven Processing Solution for CRTs, with significant capacity, and the backing of numerous State and National Organizations. Our 100 years of Environmental Stewardship and Recycling Expertise make us the logical choice to handle your CRT needs.
For more information, please contact Rita Palmer.